So what really went down in March?

Not much is the answer.  I got my gear ready for some early excursions for March.  I thought that by having gone through a smooth and mild winter would allow me to have an easier time going rock hunting.  My two outings were bleh at most.

The first of my two outings was to Joggins.  The week had seen record breaking temperatures that went to the mid-20s, but the day I went to see the cliffs, the temperature had plummeted to near freezing and the winds were blowing at least 60km/h, if not more.  I walked a bit towards Coal Mine Point, but never reached.  By the time I made it halfway, it took a great effort to walk, and to dodge the huge boulders free falling every minute.  Some trees that I had found last year were buried in loose sediment, barely visible to the naked eye.  It was just too dangerous to stay, so I turned back and went back home a bit sad.

The second trip was about two weekends ago on a nice sunny day with decent temperatures.  I wanted to go for a drive by the Old Albert Mines but when I hit the dirt road, it was still covered with packed snow.  I turned the car around and instead of being defeated, I continued on the road and stopped at Cape Enrage.  I hit the beach at high tide, so that put a stick in the wheel, but still managed to drag my arse around for an hour or so looking at the cliffs that I could reach.

March was disappointing this year, but I expect in the next few days to have some meaningful rockhunting experience done.

Stay tuned!

P.S.  Can't wait for May as I'll be heading out to visit the locals in Parrsboro.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Martin Head (Southern New Brunswick)

Amethyst Cove (Blomidon, Nova Scotia)

Rock Hunting in Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada)